Eighty-six years before Seth MacFarlane’s Ted (2012) took Hollywood by storm, A. A. Milne’s Winnie-the-Pooh appeared in a tiny book of adventurous short stories, set in the Ashdown Forest.
Of course, Pooh and Christopher Robin are accompanied in their adventures by a truly jocund company -Piglet, Eeyore, Kanga, Roo, and Tigger, plus the wise and Rabbit, who’s got brain. There hardly is a child who’s not heard of them!
I can’t remember how many times I have re-read Pooh’s adventures since I first heard about them at the age of four or five. However, I can tell you for sure that each time I discover a new layer of meaning. And it is surprising, isn’t it – a book that was originally written for children has fascinated millions of adults around the world.
Yes, being now on the wrong side of thirty I can still say Winnie-the-Pooh is one of my favorite books, if not the favorite. And it has always kept my life on track, more or less… If, for example, I get over confident about something, I always recall that “One never can tell with bees.” Similarly, when I go to the nearby convenience store for my late night bar of chocolate, I always take two, because as Pooh says, two pots of honey are always better than one pot!
The 23 heart-melting quotes you are going to read below will get you thinking about the true meaning of friendship and love.
1. “The things that make me different are the things that make me.” – Winnie the Pooh
2. “I’m not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” – Winnie the Pooh
3. “Don’t underestimate the value of doing nothing, of just going along, listening to all the things you can’t hear, and not bothering.” – Winnie the Pooh
4. “Some people care too much. I think it’s called love.” – Winnie the Pooh
5. “Some people talk to animals. Not many listen though. That’s the problem.” – Winnie the Pooh
6. “Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.” – Winnie the Pooh
7. “One of the advantages of being disorganized is that one is always having surprising discoveries.” – Winnie the Pooh
8. “I think we dream so we don’t have to be apart for so long. If we’re in each other’s dreams, we can be together all the time.” – Winnie the Pooh
9. “But it isn’t easy,” said Pooh. “Because poetry and hums aren’t things which you get, they’re things which get you. And all you can do is to go where they can find you.” – Winnie the Pooh
10. “Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits…” – Winnie the Pooh
11. “How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.” – Winnie the Pooh
12. “Just because an animal is large, it doesn’t mean he doesn’t want kindness; however big Tigger seems to be, remember that he wants as much kindness as Roo.” – Winnie the Pooh
13. Piglet:“How do you spell ‘love’?”
Pooh: “You don’t spell it…you feel it.”
-Winnie the Pooh
14. “You can’t stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.” – Winnie the Pooh
15. “Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude.” – Winnie the Pooh
16. “It’s so much more friendly with two.” – Winnie the Pooh
17. “Love is taking a few steps backward maybe even more…to give way to the happiness of the person you love.” – Winnie the Pooh
18. “I was walking along looking for somebody, and then suddenly I wasn’t anymore.” – Winnie the Pooh
19. “Rabbit’s clever,” said Pooh thoughtfully.
“Yes,” said Piglet, “Rabbit’s clever.”
“And he has Brain.”
“Yes,” said Piglet, “Rabbit has Brain.”
There was a long silence. “I suppose,” said Pooh,
“that that’s why he never understands anything.” – Winnie the Pooh
20. “Supposing a tree fell down,
Pooh, when we were underneath it?”
“Supposing it didn’t,” said Pooh after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this. – Winnie the Pooh
21. “What day is it?”
“It’s today,” squeaked Piglet.
“My favorite day,” said Pooh. – Winnie the Pooh
22. “Sometimes, said Pooh, the smallest things take up the most room in your heart.” – Winnie the Pooh
23. “Promise me you’ll always remember:
You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” – Winnie the Pooh