TikTokers were condemned for purchasing a jet ski after fans raised thousands of pounds to help them fix their home.
- After their house was set on fire, TikTokers The Smithy Family received about £50,000 in donations.
- Enraged fans are now slamming them for buying a jet ski instead of using the money for house renovations.
- The family said more than half of the sum will be donated back to various charities.
The Smithy Family, a TikTok famous family from southeast London, has been heavily criticized after buying a jet ski soon after fans donated nearly £50,000 to help them fix their fire-ravaged home.
On July 14, their Welling house caught fire. The harrowing incident occurred after their car was set alight with a milk carton filled with petrol, Daily Mail reports.
Thankfully, Nick, Jess, and their children were unharmed following the fire. At the time, they believed the damages were so severe they wouldn’t be able to return home ever again.
To help the family get back on their feet, their TikTok fans raised £47,000($63,000). Reportedly, more than half of the sum is being donated back to various fundraisers and charities.
However, social media users were quick to condemn the family after Nick posted a video of him enjoying a ride on his new jet ski. In the clip, the dad-of-four says:
“To the people that are so caught up in my life, so anxious about what I am doing or how I am spending my money, when you’re not focusing on your own life we’ve gone through hell and back.
We’re still smiling. We’re still pushing forwards, we’re still working, we’re still earning money and we’re still smiling and enjoying life. What are you doing? What are you doing, eh?
Negative people only get negative things in life. Don’t be a negative person.”
Positive things happen to people that are positive #thesmithyfamily
After seeing the jet ski video, many slammed Nick, claiming he is ridiculing all the fans who donated to his family.
One TikTok user commented: “He’s laughing at everyone who donated to him.”
Another said: “Wow I regret donating now. Actually, can I have my 50 quid back please?”
A third wrote: “Couldn’t pay for house renovations but can buy a jet ski! Feel sorry for all the people who donated to the GoFundMe page.”
Responding to the accusations, the family said in a follow-up video:
“As you know, £47,000 was raised in our name after the fire. We’re very appreciative and thankful for everyone that donated. Even though we didn’t ask for this, we are passing this on to other causes and charities.
We have done £13,000 to a family that lost everything in a fire in Croydon, we gave a small amount to each neighbour next door to cover their excess and anything that wasn’t going to be replaced.
We’ve also done £6,900-and-something-ish to the MS Society. And you all chose and commented the Azaylia Foundation, which we have donated this morning to.”
To anyone that donated to the go fund me page for us please let us know what charity you would like next #teamsmithy
The Smithy Family had decided to leave TikTok after the arson, but have recently rejoined the video-sharing platform.
During the investigation following the fire, Detective Sergeant Danny Banks, from the Serious and Complex Investigations Unit, stated:
“A team of officers have been diligently working to establish the circumstances of this incident. I thank everyone who has already come forward to police. We are now focusing our investigation on the car pictured and wish to identify it as soon as possible.
If you recognise it, please come forwards and speak to us. No piece of information is too small and could significantly help us in our investigation to establish who is responsible for this attack.
We ask that anyone with information relating to the car or the incident calls police on 101 or tweets @MetCC quoting CAD 8350/14July. It is vital we hear from you.”
Luckily, as the fire was unfolding, neighbors helped carry Nick and Jess’s two daughters and their baby boy to safety. Meanwhile, about 25 firefighters were working on tackling the blaze.
Sub Officer Tim Sammons, who was at the scene, said at the time:
“We were called to reports of a car alight that had spread up the outside of the house. There were a number of mobility scooters parked outside which had caught alight and were producing a large amount of smoke and flames.
Everyone was out of the building before we arrived, and crews worked incredibly hard to prevent further damage to the inside of the property and to neighbouring properties. Our fire investigation dogs also attended to help identify any ignitable substances present.”