25 Things to Know When You Love Someone With a Guarded Heart
“I am an extremely sincere individual. I am sincere, to a fault. One of the many things that I have come to realize, to learn, is that sincerity must be reserved and given only to those who deserve it,” wrote C. Joybell C. Often, the most sincere people end up becoming the most guarded. Their sensitivity warrants protection.
They’re too wise to throw their hearts out foolishly, with the wild abandon of someone who is young at heart.
They’re not easily trusting. They’re discerning. If they let you in, however, you will find that the most guarded of hearts are often the most beautiful.
Here are 25 things you should know about loving someone who keeps their heart so closely guarded:
1. Money, good looks, advanced degrees, and material success do not impress her. Kindness and authenticity do.
2. Your words mean nothing to her if they aren’t backed up by your actions.
3. She understands the power and the danger of love.
4. She will nurture you like no one else.
5. She blazes her own path. She may invite you to come with her if you are lucky – but she doesn’t need you to. She knows that she can make it on her own.
6. She knows better than to think she owes you a second chance. If you are granted such a grace, use it wisely.
7. Be gentle with her. She will take flight at the slightest hint of danger.
8. She values and respects your vulnerability.
9. Her capacity for empathy runs deeper than most.
10. She doesn’t need you. If you are in her life, it means she wants you there.
11. She is a survivor.
12. Flowers and expensive gifts are more likely to make her suspicious than sweep her off her feet.
13. She appreciates your flaws.
14. She’s a little bit crazy. Give in to it. Let her insanity make you come alive.
15. She is not comfortable when she has to depend on you – even for a simple ride to the airport.
16. It takes courage for her to show you a piece of her heart. Push for too much too soon, and she will shut you out.
17. She knows how to keep her cool in a crisis.
18. She may think too much and share too little.
19. There are places in her soul she may never share with you – and that’s okay. She doesn’t love you any less.
20. She will run from a relationship that is moving too fast. Let her be the one to set the pace.
21. She doesn’t tell you everything. It’s not fair, but it is her right.
22. You might never truly understand her.
23. She struggles to ask for help. When she does, be kind.
24. You don’t earn her trust with a single act. You need to prove your trustworthiness with continuous action and reliability.
25. Although you can not earn her trust in a single moment, you can lose it in one.
“The problem with letting people tear your walls down, is that you never know who wants to take down those walls just for the fun of it. For amusement purposes. Just to say that he knew that he could. At the end of the day…the things you build should stay built. And you are no scapegoat for the sins of other people, in anyone’s life. How dare anyone take down your walls not in order to see you; but only in order to feed their ego. In order to make you pay for sins not done by your own hands.” Again, C. JoyBell C. knows the value and importance of guarding one’s heart.