Premature baby dumped in a bathroom at Doha Airport. Female passengers forcefully searched
A newborn baby was found alive after being left in an airport bathroom in Doha.
In turn, this led to the forceful searching of female passengers.
A number of women (among whom were 13 Australian citizens) were reportedly removed from flights, held against their will, and searched in ambulances parked on the airport runway earlier in October.
Allegedly, the women were told to strip and were put through an invasive examination by Qatari authorities after an infant was abandoned in a restroom at Hamad International Airport (HIA).
None of the people searched were informed about the baby or told why they were being examined.
The tiny baby, which is said to have been born prematurely, is currently being cared for by medical experts.
“The newborn infant was immediately provided with medical attention and care,” a spokesperson for HIA told Newshub.
“Medical professionals expressed concern to officials about the health and welfare of a mother who had just given birth and requested she be located prior to departing HIA.
“Individuals who had access to the specific area of the airport where the newborn infant was found were asked to assist in the query.”
The Australian Government described the treatment of the women as "a grossly, grossly disturbing, offensive, concerning set of events". https://t.co/SCHiz3WNIZ
— The Telegraph (@Telegraph) October 26, 2020
However, the government in Australia has now “formally registered serious concerns” regarding the situation, a spokesperson said:
“The Australian Government is deeply concerned at the unacceptable treatment of some female passengers on a recent Qatar Airways flight at Doha Airport,” they said.
“Reports indicate that the treatment of the women concerned was offensive, grossly inappropriate, and beyond circumstances in which the women could give free and informed consent.
“The Government has formally registered our serious concerns about this incident with Qatari authorities. The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade is engaged on this matter through diplomatic channels.”
Joel Fitzgibbons, a Shadow Resources Minister, added that the allegation “effectively amounts to state-sanctioned sexual assault”.
“As a father, my first thought was what if this was one of my daughters,” he said. “We should all be very concerned and the government here in Australia should be most robust in its response,” he told 7 News breakfast show Sunrise.
What are your thoughts on this shocking story? Let us know by joining the conversation in the comments and please share this article if you’ve found it of value.