Love Island 2020 is not going to happen. The reality show was officially canceled due to the coronavirus outbreak.
Since most of the world is suffering from the ongoing pandemic, reality shows all over the globe have been canceled, including the fan-favorite Love Island. The show’s producers have decided to pull the plug on this year’s season. They have revealed they were experiencing a logistical impossibility to protect ‘the wellbeing of everyone involved’ amid the global COVID-19 crisis.
However, ITV bosses have assured the show’s admirers that their favorite dating reality will be back ‘stronger than ever in 2021’.
— Love Island (@LoveIsland) May 4, 2020
The Director of Television at ITV, Kevin Lygo, stated:
“We have tried every which way to make Love Island this summer but logistically it’s just not possible to produce it in a way that safeguards the wellbeing of everyone involved and that for us is the priority.”
In ‘normal circumstances’ they would be already preparing for the summer season in Mallorca, but currently, this is ‘out of question’.
“We are very sorry for fans of the show but making it safely is our prime concern and Love Island will be back stronger than ever in 2021. In the meantime, Love Island fans can still enjoy all six series of Love Island on BritBox.”
Laura Whitmore, the show’s host, believes its cancellation was the right decision. In a Twitter post, she expressed her opinion on the subject:
Like with a lot of things because of restrictions with travel, social distancing and unable to plan ahead, Love Island is postponed until 2021.
Great news is that there have been more applications then any other series! Next year is going to be BIG. Stay safe ❤️
— Laura Whitmore (@thewhitmore) May 4, 2020
Even though for some fans the news might come as a surprise, Love Island 2020’s withdrawing was already widely rumored.
A TV insider shared with The Sun:
“A huge amount of work had already gone into this series in terms of laying out plans for the show. Casting had also started, with interviews on Zoom for new applicants planned to begin this week.”
What’s more, producers have already contacted rising social media stars for the 2021 season of the reality program.
While people were still rumoring about Love Island’s halting this year, some sources have even claimed that the ITV2 is struggling to get insurance to be filmed in Mallorca. Initially, it was believed that directors were considering asking the participants to practice strict social distancing for at least two weeks before filming starts this summer. However, if they didn’t have insurance, the production could be shut down completely.
On Saturday, May 2nd, The Daily Star reported:
“Producers are looking at ways of making it work. The current plan is to fly crew and contestants out to Majorca two weeks before filming starts and then isolate everyone. But even with these measures, insurance companies won’t offer cover. ITV can’t do the series without insurance. If the series is airing and even just one person tests positive for the virus, the whole thing would have to be shut down immediately.”
ITV boss Kevin Lygo had hinted Love Island might be axed due to the coronavirus pandemic.
In an online interview with the Edinburgh TV Festival, Lygo admitted this summer’s season of the show was debatable. He also confessed the production wouldn’t want to send its fans the wrong signals while the whole country is under quarantine. The ITV director said:
“What signal might it be sending out if we’re doing a show where everyone is crammed together slavering over each other, and the rest of the world is told not to go near anyone in the park?”
Although Lygo admits there would be a ‘big commercial impact’ if the show fails to continue in 2020, apparently he chose people’s safety over profit.
However, before the official series’ cancelation was announced, bosses were considering to go ahead with filming the new season. A TV source revealed for Mail Online:
“The team are still committed to the series airing this summer. The show will go on. Production on Love Island have been told the upcoming series is still scheduled to take place but the show will launch a month later in July. All the usual preparations are going ahead.”
This comes after reports of huge money losses that will inevitably happen, as the UK is ground to a halt during the pandemic. Jack Cooper of EdHopkinsPR told Metro:
“The Winter Love Island stars are set to lose huge amounts of money, some contestants up to £500,000.”
Cooper explained that currently, many companies are unable to afford the ‘usual Love Island prices for sponsorship deals’.
Despite the coronavirus pandemic and the lockdown in the UK, the applications for the summer series are at a record high.
View this post on Instagram
Over the past six weeks, there were 12,000 applications, with extra staff being called in to deal with the surge. What’s more, over 70% of the applicants have come from 18 to 28-year-olds. When the producers choose their favorites, they will be interviewing them virtually. An insider shares that this year’s videos have been ‘more creative than ever as people have more time on their hands’.