President Donald Trump and his wife Melania have tested positive for coronavirus.
In a tweet made on October 2, Trump said:
“Tonight, @FLOTUS and I tested positive for COVID-19. We will begin our quarantine and recovery process immediately. We will get through this TOGETHER!”
Tonight, @FLOTUS and I tested positive for COVID-19. We will begin our quarantine and recovery process immediately. We will get through this TOGETHER!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 2, 2020
The president, who is now 74, said he and his wife, 50, were in self-isolation after Hope Hicks, one of his main people, tested positive.
The first lady tweeted:
“As too many Americans have done this year, @potus & I are quarantining at home after testing positive for COVID-19. We are feeling good & I have postponed all upcoming engagements.
“Please be sure you are staying safe & we will all get through this together.”
As too many Americans have done this year, @potus & I are quarantining at home after testing positive for COVID-19. We are feeling good & I have postponed all upcoming engagements. Please be sure you are staying safe & we will all get through this together.
— Melania Trump (@FLOTUS) October 2, 2020
In a letter, Sean Conley, Trump’s physician, confirmed the news on Thursday and said the president and his wife would remain in the White House while self-isolating.
The letter also read:
“The White House medical team and I will maintain a vigilant watch, and I appreciate the support provided by some of our country’s greatest medical professionals and institutions.
“Rest assured I expect the president to continue carrying out his duties without disruption while recovering, and I will keep you updated on any future developments.”
A letter from the White House physician confirming Mr Trump’s positive test
31-year-old Ms Hicks, who works as a counsellor to Trump, reportedly tested positive for the virus on Thursday, one day after attending a rally with him.
She is the president’s closest aide to test positive so far.
A number of other White House employees have also tested positive for coronavirus, including Vice President Mike Pence’s press secretary Katie Miller, and one of Trump’s personal valets.
The news comes as the virus continues to spread at a fast rate in the United States, even as the president has tried to downplay the threat.
He has been holding campaign rallies during the pandemic with thousands of supporters in attendance.
To make matters worse, the positive test comes only a month before the November 3 presidential election.
Hope Hicks may have just caused the most impactful chain infection of COVID-19 in the world. pic.twitter.com/DzYrQEQv6t
— Kareem Rifai 🌐 (@KareemRifai) October 2, 2020
The president’s age and weight put him at higher risk of critical complications from COVID-19. In 2019, his medical showed he met the technical threshold for obesity.
He kept on shaking hands with people despite being warned by experts against it and also, at first, did not want to be tested. Trump also refused to wear a protective mask in public most times.
In a statement, White House spokesman Judd Deere said:
“The president takes the health and safety of himself and everyone who works in support of him and the American people very seriously.
“White House Operations collaborates with the physician to the president and the White House Military Office to ensure all plans and procedures incorporates current CDC guidance and best practices for limiting COVID-19 exposure to the greatest extent possible both on complex and when the president is travelling.”
Over 200,000 people have so far lost their lives in the United States after contracting COVID-19 and more than 7 million have been infected.
For Sky News’ report on the story please see the video below.
What are your thoughts on this worrying news? Let us know by joining the conversation in the comments and please share if you’ve found this article informative.