Chinese Doctors Critically ill With COVID-19 Wake Up With Darkened Skin

Two doctors from China who were in critical condition due to COVID-19 experienced a change in skin color after surviving the silent killer.

Dr. Yi Fan and Dr. Hu Weifeng, both 42-years-old, contracted coronavirus while caring for patients at the Wuhan Central Hospital back in January.

The doctors who cared for them said both of them had to be put on life support, but as a consequence of the treatment to keep them alive their skin became dark. This bizarre change is triggered by an imbalance that occurred when the two patients’ livers were damaged by COVID-19, according to Chinese media.

Dr. Yi before and after treatment. Image Source: CCTV

Both doctors worked with Li Wenliang, the person who was punished for making light of the virus a few months back and died of COVID-19 on February 7.

The two doctors were diagnosed on January 18 and were taken to the Wuhan Pulmonary Hospital. They were transferred twice, as per CCTV, a Chinese state media.

Doctor Yi, who is a cardiologist, survived COVID-19 after he was put on life support (a machine called ECMO) for 39 days.

The ECMO is a last-resort life support procedure that acts as a heart and lungs by pumping oxygen into and out of a person’s body.

Doctor Hu, who is a urologist, was in an even worse condition and he had to stay in bed for 99 days, his doctor noted.

Doctor Li Shusheng – who is caring for both Dr. Yi and Dr Hu – said their skin turned dark due to a type of medicine they were given in the early stages of their recovery process. He noted that one of the drug’s side effects is a person’s skin becoming dark.

Even though he did not specify which drug that is, Doctor Li said both doctors’ skin color should return back to normal as soon as their livers start recovering.

Dr. Hu before and after treatment. Image Source: CCTV

Doctor Yi talked to CCTV from his bed, where he said he had recovered for the most part. He added that he could move in bed as usual but was still having trouble walking without assistance. 

‘When I first gained conscious, especially after I got to know about my condition, I felt scared. I had nightmares often,” Dr Yi told a reporter.

Doctor Hu went through ECMO therapy from February 7 to March 22. However, he was not able to speak until April 11. He is currently still in intensive care.

According to Dr. Li, the two doctors are also being given mental health support due to the horrific experiences they went through.

You can see the two doctors in hospital care in the video below.

What are your thoughts on this strange phenomenon? Let us know by joining the conversation in the comments and please share this article to spread the news. 

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

buy metronidazole online