Can you solve Einstein’s riddle?
The riddle below is considered to be written by Albert Einstein when he was a young boy, however, some have also credited Lewis Carol for its existence in the past.
Nonetheless, there is no concrete evidence either one of the two wrote it in actuality, but it is acknowledged as immensely clever and is known as “Einstein’s Riddle” in popular culture.
So, we’re going to stick to that.
“Einstein’s Riddle” is a form of a Zebra Puzzle in which you are given a series of facts and are challenged with the task to logically calculate one single fact (which is not offered in the previously mentioned ones).
In this specific instance, it’s the location of a fish that has been kidnapped. There are five indistinguishable houses in a row (numbered, respectively, one through five), and the fish is in one of them. Can you deduce which house contains the fish, with only the clues provided?
It’s rumored that only 2% of the world can successfully obtain the answer to this question. Do you think you are one of them?
So, here it goes…
There are five houses in five different colors in a row. In each house lives a person with a different nationality. The five owners drink a certain type of beverage, smoke a certain brand of cigar and keep a certain pet. No owners have the same pet, smoke the same brand of cigar, or drink the same beverage.
1. The Brit lives in the red house.
2. The Swede keeps dogs as pets.
3. The Dane drinks tea.
4. The greenhouse is on the immediate left of the white house.
5. The green house’s owner drinks coffee.
6. The owner who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.
7. The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill.
8. The owner living in the center house drinks milk.
9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
10. The owner who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats.
11. The owner who keeps the horse lives next to the one who smokes Dunhill.
12. The owner who smokes Bluemasters drinks beer.
13. The German smokes Prince.
14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
15. The owner who smokes Blends lives next to the one who drinks water.
So, who owns the fish?
No, there are no tricks in this riddle.
The only requirement for its solving is the use of simple logic. However, if you do give up but want to know the answer to the riddle, there is a step by step tutorial linked below to help you out!