Teenager dies after being stung by a box jellyfish

Teen, 17, died after being stung by a box jellyfish in Queensland. 

  • A boy, 17, died after being stung by a box jellyfish while fishing in Patterson’s Point on Cape York. 
  • The box jellyfish’s venom is considered to be among the most deadly in the world. 
  • Local authorities warn people to stay away from the water until the end of the stinger season.

A 17-year-old boy from Bamaga, in Far North Queensland, died after being stung by a box jellyfish – a venomous sea creature, while fishing. The deadly incident occurred at Patterson’s Point on Cape York on Friday, Daily Mail reports.

Immediately after being stung, the boy was rushed to Townsville Hospital. Tragically, he died three days later.

After the teenager’s horrific death, the local council has issued a warning to both locals and residents to avoid the water throughout the stinger season, which will continue until May. The Northern Peninsula Area Regional Council said in a statement:

“We cannot stress enough on how important it is to keep your children away from the water.”

Credits: Dr. Robert Harwick

The box jellyfish, a venomous cube-shaped sea creature, is a deadly threat to all swimmers off the Queensland coast north of Gladstone. Its tentacles can grow up to 10ft(3m) in length.

National Geographic warns:

“The box jellyfish’s venom is among the most deadly in the world, containing toxins that attack the heart, nervous system, and skin cells… It is so overpoweringly painful, human victims have been known to go into shock and drown or die of heart failure before even reaching shore.”

Local police are currently preparing a report on the boy’s death for the coroner.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

cialis 20mg kaufen cialis online bestellen
buy metronidazole online