A man from the Yunan province in China lost his life to the hantavirus, also known as hantavirus pulmonary syndrome (HPS) while traveling to the Shandong province, as per the Global Times.
“He was tested positive for hantavirus. Other 32 people on the bus were tested,” the Global Times tweeted.
A person from Yunnan Province died while on his way back to Shandong Province for work on a chartered bus on Monday. He was tested positive for #hantavirus. Other 32 people on bus were tested. pic.twitter.com/SXzBpWmHvW
— Global Times (@globaltimesnews) March 24, 2020
As per the World Health Organization (WHO), HPS is a zoonotic (it can be transferred from animals to humans) viral respiratory illness, which could spread from rodents.
HPS symptoms include headache, dizziness, chills fever, muscle pain, and stomach problems, such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain, followed by respiratory distress and low blood pressure.
“The infection (in humans) is acquired primarily through inhalation of aerosols or contact with infected rodent excreta, droppings, or saliva of infected rodents,” the World Health Organization explained in a report on the spread of the hantavirus in Argentina back in 2018.
“Cases of human hantavirus infection usually occur in rural areas (e.g. forests, fields, and farms) where sylvatic rodents hosting the virus might be found and where persons may be exposed to the virus,” they added.
The WHO notes that there have been 114 hantavirus fatal cases reported in Argentina between 2013 and 2018, with a death rate of 18.6%, even though this figure was nearing “…40% for some provinces in the southern region of the country.”
As per the United States’ Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, hantaviruses are a group of viruses that are carried mainly by rodents and cause a number of disease syndromes in people around the world. Hantaviruses in the continent of America are referred to as “New Word” hantaviruses while those found in Europe and Asia, are referred to as “Old World” hantaviruses.
In 2016, Mumbai reported one fatal case of a 12-year-old child struck down by the disease.
The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation was able to trace the death to the lung infection triggered by viruses in the urine, saliva, and excrements of rodents.
To find out more about the hantavirus please see the video below.
What are your thoughts on this frightening disease? Let us know by joining the conversation in the comments and please share this article if you’ve found it informative.