To call something “timeless” implies that it’s reach and impact has nothing to do with the passing of time. Below is a list of inspiration quotes from some of history’s most brilliant minds that, in my opinion, fit the definition of being timeless.
Buy an “Intelligence is sexy” t-shirt!
1) Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.
2) Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.
3) Start by doing what’s necessary; then do what’s possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Francis of Assisi
4) What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
-Henry S. Haskins
5) The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
6) My mother said to me, “If you are a soldier, you will become a general. If you are a monk, you will become the Pope.” Instead, I was a painter, and became Picasso.
– Pablo Picasso.
7) The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched – they must be felt with the heart.
8) It is never too late to be what you might have been.
9) Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.
10) Dream big and dare to fail.
11) In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.
12) I can’t change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
13) All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
14) Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.
15) What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Read: 20 Quotes from Jack Kerouac that Speak to The Creative Minds and the Wandering Souls
16) Until you’re ready to look foolish, you’ll never have the possibility of being great.
17) Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
18) The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
19) I attribute my success to this: I never gave or took any excuse.
20) You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
21) Whether you think you can, or think you can’t, you’re probably right.
22) Nothing is impossible, the word itself says ‘I’m possible’!
23) Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
-Charles R. Swindoll
Read: Imagination and Reality: 14 Quotes from the Brilliant Mind of Tom Waits
24) You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.
25) Tough times never last, but tough people do.
-Dr. Robert Schuller
26) Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
27) Memories of our lives, of our works and our deeds will continue in others.
28) If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way.
29) I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
30) Keep your face to the sunshine and you can never see the shadow.
31) Keep away from people who try to belittle your dreams. Small people always do that, but the really great ones make you feel that you, too, can become great.
32) Try to be a rainbow in someone’s cloud.
33) If opportunity doesn’t knock, build a door.
34) Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement.
-W. Clement Stone
35) There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.
36) When people hurt you over and over, think of them like sandpaper. They may scratch and hurt you a bit, but in the end, you end up polished and they end up useless.
37) Put your heart, mind, and soul into even your smallest acts. This is the secret of success.
38) An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
39) Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans.
40) The best way out is always through.
41) I am afraid we must make the world honest before we can honestly say to our children that honesty is the best policy.
-George Bernard Shaw
42) We know what we are, but know not what we may be.
43) Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor.
44) Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover.
Read: 20 Inspirational Quotes from the “Godfather of Personal-Development”, Jim Rohn
45) The power of imagination makes us infinite.
46) There are seven things that will destroy us:
Wealth without work;
Pleasure without conscience;
Knowledge without character;
Religion without sacrifice;
Politics without principle;
Science without humanity;
Business without ethics.
47) You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give.
48) Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it.
49) Make each day your masterpiece.
50) In looking for people to hire, you look for three qualities: integrity, intelligence, and energy. And if they don’t have the first, the other two will kill you.
51) There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them.
52) The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.
53) The best dreams happen when you’re awake.
54) When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.
55) Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.
56) The mind is everything. What you think you become.
Read: 11 Quotes About Self-Improvement that can Inspire the Changes You Want to See in Yourself
57) Once you choose hope, anything’s possible.
58) The simple act of paying attention can take you a long way.
59) A journey of a thousand leagues begins beneath one’s feet.
60) An unexamined life is not worth living.